History

Australia Post ceased trading at 29 Forbes Street on 30th August 2013, exactly 100 years after it opened. The building has been undergoing extensive restoration since early 2015 which will continue for some years.

The National Archives of Australia has the original plans of the building and volumes of correspondence and official documents relating to the post office. Included amongst these documents are the letters from enthusiastic locals who vied to sell their land to the Federal Government when a tender was called for a new post office in 1910.

The tender was finally won with a claim that the tenderer’s land was “the highest in town” and thus free from the risk of flooding.

The grounds are unusually large as the postmaster’s house originally stood behind the office. It was also deemed appropriate to buy the adjacent southern block to protect the postmaster’s amenity. Sadly the postmaster’s house burnt to the ground in the 1980s.

A great many of Trundle’s senior residents have worked, at one time or another, in the building – the post office being one of the stable providers of employment before the age of modern digital communications.

Original plans for the Trundle Post Office

Original plans for the Trundle Post Office. Image courtesy of the National Archives of Australia.